Thursday 21 October 2010

Teaching English croft
Our hostel has a programme with a local community, which involves volenteers from the Loki to spend an afternoon teaching English to kids aged between 3-15! Somehow me an Adam got persuaded into doing this! Walking upto the school we encountered a poo dog that had been savagly be-headed and left to rot, pretty sick and it made us think what were we letting ourselves into!

Further more whilst discussing what the lesson plan was, we decided as a group to teach emotions and feelings to the kids. This meant words like angry happy sad etc, followed with demonstrating why the expressions are to these. Our leader, an Israeli guy said we should teach them the word "fighting" well it was like he had just killed someone by the reaction he go from 3 American girls, they went barmy at the thought, saying this was outrageous and we can't encourage fighting...ok so within 5 minutes of sitting down with my 2 kids both aged 11, I asked if I could flick through their note pads...only to disover a double page spread of beautifully drawn guns and rockets! -loved seeing their faces...this is south America you silly cotton wool wrapped new yorkers, open your eyes!

We had some great fun with the kids and they were all so keen to learn...well until I showed them my camera and iPod, I've never seen kids so facinated by things that I don't think twice about, it's sad to think they will probably never be able to afford these items, but they had fun arguing over who could play FIFA on my touch.


Becoming a Loki lad, 
So whilst traveling you visit loads of hostels and meet loads of people, but how do you become a bit of a legacy and leave your mark on a place? Well I think I found the answer in cusco, my name is plastered on thedrinks menu behind the bar as I achieved a record. The 7 shot challange winner! The previous record holder, I've been told was a massive Australian nut head who managed to do the below shots in. 13 seconds. Adam having complete faith in me took one look at that time and went "andy could smash that time"...low and behold I did! Doing all of the below shots in 8 seconds! (s.American shots are 50mls) this basically meant all the bar staff were in disbelief and I earned the rep as a bit of a lad! -should I be proud? Either way for the next 3 nights every tome I would walk in the bar I would hear "and here's the world champ"-legacy left and 3 free t shirts gained!
Pisco
Tequilla
Sambuca
Kahlua
Springbox glider
Baby Guinness 
Jagermeister

Back to la Paz
We have now left cusco behind and now back at the Loki hostel in la Paz, waiting for our new Ozzie mates to come and join us were going to head off to do the Bolivian salt flats with them in the coming week, something I really can't wait to do!

Alpaccacroft!
So the fashion of backpackers in andean south America is to wear clothes made from llamas and alpaccas, hoodys, socks, hats etc. No doubt me and Adam have jumped on this band wagon- I'm sure you all hav seen those wooly hats that have the big ear flaps, well the cost less than £2 here so I am starting a fine collection as well as a number o hoodies, don't really know why considering Australia will be so hot! Either way they are pretty cool!

I hear the weather is cold and shit in the uk! Just to soften the blow, it is the rainy season here, but still delightfully warm ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment